Best Hunting Knife For Any Budget
- Top 4 Hunting Knives In 2018
- Best Hunting Knife Comparison Chart and Reviews
- 1. Case Cutlery 381 Case 316-5 Leather Hunter with Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Leather Hunter
- 2. Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter
- 3. DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife Mahogany Micarta
- 4. Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife 17.25-Inch Overall
- 5. Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knives, Black
- Hunting Knife Buying Guide
- Last words
There are several hunting knives in the market today. And each one boasts of different features, qualities, usability, and pros and cons. Choosing the right one for you can be challenging and confusing because of the varied options out there.
Hence, we have captured below four of the best hunting knives that you can consider. A detailed description of the hunting knives are presented below for reference.
Top 4 Hunting Knives In 2018
- Kershaw 1990 Brawler
- Brand: Kershaw
- Blade Type:Folding
- Blade Length:3 inches
- Knife Material:Steel: 8Cr13MoV, black oxide coating
- Handle:Glass-filled nylon
- Warranty:Limited Lifetime
- Kershaw Ken
- Brand: Kershaw
- Blade Type:Folding
- Blade Length:3,4 inches
- Knife Material:Steel: Sandvik 14C28N, DLC coating
- Handle:6061-T6 anodized aluminum, Trac-Tec inserts
- Warranty:Limited Lifetime
- Buck 110
- Brand: Buck Knives
- Blade Type:Folding
- Blade Length:3-3/4 inches
- Knife Material:420HC Steel
- Handle:Macassar Ebony Dymondwood
- Buck Knives 0119
- Brand: Buck Knives
- Blade Type:Fixed
- Blade Length:6 inches
- Knife Material:420HC Steel
- Handle:Phenolic with Aluminum Pommel Guard
This article aims to help clients make the best decision in choosing the best hunting knife for your hunting requirements.
Best Hunting Knife Comparison Chart and Reviews
|Case Medium Leather Hunter Knife||4.4/5||$|
|Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter||4.6/5||$ $|
|DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus||4.2/5||$ $|
|Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01||4.3/5||$ $|
|Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade||4.8/5||$ $|
|Bushcraft Stainless Steel MOVA-58||4/5||$ $ $|
|Handmade Hunting Knife J2 Steel||4.3/5||$ $|
|Knife King "Janus" Damascus Handmade||4.1/5||$ $ $|
|Klecker Hunting & Tactical||4.7/5||$ $|
|Columbia River 2861 Hunt'N Fisch||4.7/5||$|
Below are five of the best hunting knives that you can check out and decide to buy for your hunting and other outdoor needs.
1. Case Cutlery 381 Case 316-5 Leather Hunter with Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Leather Hunter
This type of hunting knife has a really good appearance. It is referred to as a handsome and rugged hunting knife.
The blade of this knife is very durable and is great for outdoor use. Its blade is made from Tru-Sharp surgical steel making this knife highly recommended for hiking, hunting and other open-air activities.
This knife comes with a leather handle that is hand-made. The leather material that is used for the handle adds to the knife’s marketability. It also allows the owner to hold and carry it a lot easier.
The Case Cutlery 381 Case 316-5 Leather Hunter with Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Leather Hunter is created and designed by W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company.
It is a US-based company that is known for producing high quality and hand-crafted hunting knives and other types of knives. The company has been in the industry for generations.
It offers several types of knives from conventional sporting knives and pocket knives to limited and quality knives that can be used as commemoratives or collectibles.
Today, the company is owned by another company, Zippo Manufacturing Company, the maker of the famous windproof lighter, Zippo. The knives produced by Case or Zippo Manufacturing Company have been recognized by several television shows, print publications, global trade association and events, as well as film outfits.
This hunting knife is known for its appearance which appeals to a lot of hunters around the globe. But on top of the nice looks, this knife brags of other features that make it the knife of choice by a lot of consumers.
- This hunting knife has a mirror-polished and concave ground clip blade, which makes the blade cut smoothly and effortlessly.
- The Case Cutlery 381 Case 316-5 Leather Hunter with Stainless Steel Fixed Blade Leather Hunter is crafted from Tru-Sharp surgical steel.
- This hunting knife is made of all imported materials.
- The knife has a genuine and nicely-polished leather handle.
- This knife by Case comes with a premium and genuine leather sheath.
- This knife weighs 5.4 ounces and measures 9 ½ inches.
- Its blade is very durable making it a must-have knife of Case or Zippo.
- This knife also offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- This knife is unique because it is hand-crafted by some of the best cutlers and well-known artisans in the industry.
2. Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter
The Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter knife is the improved version of Buck’s reputable 110 Folding Hunter. It is referred to as one of the most copied knives in the market today.
It has a solid and really nice design, which will make its clients feel like the knife was especially produced for them or their hands. This knife is also known for having a 420HC stainless steel blade, which has a gut hook.
This hunting knife by Buck weighs about 8 oz, which is just right to allow an easy hold. It has a rubberized handle where the border shows exposed metal from the body of the knife itself.
The upper part of this knife’s handle has a sport grip edge, which is known to give extra grip for additional safely. This knife comes with a stylish black nylon case.
The Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter knife is indeed one of the most reliable knives by Buck. Buck boasts of its 110-year existence in the business. It is a company that has been known for efficient and unique craftsmanship.
They make high quality knives by using only the top of the line materials and the latest technology as far as creating knives is concerned.
Buck also produces various knives, giving its clients several options to choose from. The knives they create have been carefully assessed and produced to meet the requirements and needs of the market.
The right combination of its weight and great design make this knife one of the most sought after knives in the market today. The unconditional lifetime warranty that also comes with the knife contributes to why it is the preferred knife of most hunters.
- This knife boasts of its one-handed opening – it is famous for its one-hand use feature, which is made possible through its thumb button, blade holes and other features. Some models of this knife also offer the one-hand opening and the one-hand closing feature.
- The blade of this knife is made of 420HC stainless steel. It is also known for having a corrosion resistance feature coming from chromium stainless steel and the carbon alloys’ wear resistance. It is also made famous because of the heat treatment process of Buck, which makes the blade exceptionally strong. It can withstand frequent use, especially in extreme situations. The blade can also keep its performance for a long period as it can be re-sharpened easily.
- Drop Point – its blade also has a durable and thick point which makes this knife highly recommended for heavy-duty tasks. Accidental injuries can also be lessened because of its blade which drops down toward the tip. The blade is very strong.
- You can expect high quality and precision when using this knife.
- This knife is sold with a nice sheath or case and a warranty registration card.
- This knife also has a handle made of rubber that makes it easy to hold and carry around.
- The upper part of the handle has a sport grip edge for extra support and grip.
- The Buck 278BKG Fld Alpha Hunter also comes with a nice-fit and high quality black nylon case.
- Unconditional lifetime warranty also comes with this knife.
3. DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife Mahogany Micarta
DKC knives are popular for being customized and hand-made. The company is known for its quality craftsmanship. Their exclusive design and the excellent choice of materials allow the company to create a hunting knife that is a cut above the rest.
Since DKC knives are hand-made, clients may notice visible imperfections like natural marks or blemishes. There may also be some inconsistencies with the appearance of the knives they produce. Color variations are also normal. For example, the buffalo horn knife is generally black, but clients may see white spots.
The white areas are natural parts of a horn material. While some may not find this very appealing, the rawness mentioned earlier attracts most hunters globally. Those natural imperfections are something that will not be present in machine-made knives.
DKC Knives is a company known to create premium and hand-made knives at a very affordable price. It is an American company, which is known for its quality and superior craftsmanship.
Despite the imperfections due to the hand-made technique used in creating the knives, the DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife and the other types of knives they produce continue to be of great quality. Many clients continue to recommend this knife as well, despite their natural flaws.
Similar to the other knives in the market, the DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife offers various features that will give it a good fight in the knife industry.
- The DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife, similar to other knives produced by DKC, is hand-made. This proves the knife’s good craftsmanship
- The Damascus steel used for this hunting knife has over 252 layers of 15N20 & 1095 steel.
- A custom-made sheath also comes with this knife. The sheath is made of high-quality layers of authentic leather material.
- The authentic leather material used to create the sheath of this hunting knife has been customized to produce the natural appearance of an alligator, a snake and a leopard. Each design is carefully made and sketched on the sheath itself. The sheath is also designed to match the handle of the knife, which is also made of leather. Both are colorful and appealing.
- The DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife’s blade has been 100% hand-forged. This type of technique requires a lot of work hours and effort.
- The blade of the DKC-42 OTTER Tanto Fixed Damascus Hunting Knife goes through an effective heat treatment process and oil quenching activity that makes the blade very durable.
4. Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife 17.25-Inch Overall
The Alamo knife, also referred to as the Jim Bowie knife, is formally licensed and the accurate replica of the knife used by Richard Widmark, who played the role of Jim Bowie, in the 1960 Oscar-winning film, The Alamo. It is where the knife got its name.
The said knife measures 17.25 inches which has an 11 inch 420 stainless steel blade. It also has a handle which is made of authentic wood, with brass fittings. The material and design of the handle gives this knife a classic look.
The Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife is sold with an authentic and high quality leather sheath that adds to the knife’s extra appeal and marketability. It also comes with a certificate of authenticity, which is important to most hunters or clients.
Aside from being famous because of the film it was used in, the Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife also offers great features that make it the right hunting knife for you. Knowing its features will explain why this hunting knife is preferred by a number of clients.
- The Officially Licensed ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife is available in multiple colors, which gives its clients various alternatives to choose from.
- This Alamo knife is sold with a sheath made of high quality and authentic leather.
- Its stainless blade is known for being durable, which allows its owner to use it for an extended period of time.
- The knife measures 17.25 inches.
- The knife also has an 11 inch 420 stainless steel blade.
- The handle of the ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife is made of 100% natural wood.
- The ALAMO MC-AB01 Hunting Knife is exactly the same knife that was shown in the popular and Oscar-winning film, The Alamo. Because it was shown in the movie, the knife has become popular, making it one of the most in demand knives in the market.
- The handle which shows the “Jim Bowie” label contributes to the knife’s popularity thus helping it in terms of sales or marketability.
- The 420 stainless steel blade will not rust, which means that it can be used for a longer period. This is indeed a great advantage from a consumer’s perspective.
- The handle which is made of wood adds to the classic look of the knife.
5. Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knives, Black
The Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knife is known as a survival rescue knife. When this knife was being designed, the company only had one vision in mind: to create a durable and multi-purpose survival product such as this knife.
In a survival or a rescue situation or operation, versatility, ease of use and durability are all critical. When we talk about a knife in that situation, it is important to own a knife that can stand the most challenging and extreme conditions.
And that is what the Cold Steel SRK or Survival Rescue Knife was designed and built for. The Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knife is a popular knife among the Military and Tactical Law Enforcement personnel. It is the standard knife used by the Navy SEALS for their Basic Underwater Demolition training or BUDS.
Cold Steel is a US company which aims to create and design the toughest and sharpest knives for its clients. The company started producing knives in 1980, and since then, Cold Steel has maintained its image as the leader in creating unique and durable knives in the industry.
It created many firsts and unique creations, which helped develop and define the knife industry and what it is today. It has produced many great products including the Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knife.
The Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knife is popular because of its durability, which is especially important during a survival and rescue condition.
This made this type of knife a popular choice among Military and Tactical Law Enforcement personnel. To further appreciate the Cold Steel 38CKJ1 Hunting Fixed Blade Knife and its benefits, below are its features for your reference.
- This knife measures just right so that it will allow its user to handle and carry it conveniently during a rescue and survival condition. It measures 8 by 1.5 by 1 inches and weigh 8.2 ounces.
- Its blade is very tough and can be used in difficult conditions. It is 5 mm thick.
- The blade has been designed using the clip point blade style.
- The sheath that comes with this knife is made of Kydex.
- It is made of vg-1 stainless steel with black tuff-ex finish.
- This design of the blade, clip point style, is one of the most common shapes or styles of knife blade. This design means that the blade has been “clipped” off. The said clip can be straight or it can also be concave depending on the preference of the client. This blade style is recommended because it allows a faster and deeper puncture upon insertion. The said blade style also allows the user to execute a quicker and easier “attack or stabbing” with lesser drag during insertion. It will also allow faster withdrawal.
- The vg-1 stainless steel that makes up this knife is indeed an advantage as the blade can be used longer, without it getting damaged or easily suffering from rust.
- The nice-looking sheath that comes with the knife contributes to its appearance making it a quality hunting knife to have.
Hunting Knife Buying Guide
Hunting knives are used during hunting for skinning the animal and cutting up the meat in other words to prepare the game to use as a food. These knives are designed for cutting instead of stabbing. Hunting knives usually have a single sharpened edge with a slightly curved blade; sometimes blade has a straight portion to cut meat slices and a curved portion for skinning.
A hunting knife is a must have for hunters. This weapon plays an important role not only in dressing, skinning and preparing the game but also for the safety of a hunter. Doesn’t matter where you are hunting and what you are hunting but a knife is an invaluable tool which helps you always. It is very important to have a right kind of knife when you are going to hunt.
You cannot attack the game with a knife which is designed for dressing meat. A right knife can enhance your experience of hunting. A good hunting weapon should be versatile enough to satisfy the needs of a hunter. Before buying a hunting weapon you should consider that how you will use this weapon and what kind of game you are planning to hunt. Every game needs a different type of hunting knife so according to your requirements, you have to buy a suitable weapon. Today in this article I am going to tell you everything about the hunting knives which will help you to get a better inside about these weapons.
History of Hunting Knives
The knife is one of the oldest weapons which are with the human from Stone Age. It is an ancient tool or weapon that remained unchanged till now. With the help of hunting, knife hunters butcher the animal for meat and skin. It was also a defense tool to protect from predators. Initially, knives were made with the stones after that with the bones or shells. Ancient Egyptians fashioned wooden handles to hold stone blades.
In the Bronze Age, around 2000 B.C. hunting knives were made of bronze and ancient Greek people in Asia and Europe started to use Bronze blades. In Iron Age 1000 to 800 B.C. knives were made of iron which was sharper and has durable cutting edges than bronze. But the iron knives were used to bend easily. Mixing of carbon in the iron solved this problem and now these iron blades become harder and improved rigidity and sharpness. In the time of Romans steel blades become common and from that time steel have become a dominating material in the production of knives.
One particular design of hunting knife became famous in early American history which was known as Bowie Knife. The Bowie Knife is a pattern of fixed blade knife which was created by James Black in early 19th century for the legendary pioneer James Bowie. This 10-15 inches long single edged steel knife was straight with a concave tapered point.
The next development was Swiss Army knife which made the folding knives popular among hunters. Swiss Army knife is a folding knife which put a small foldable toolbox in the pocket of hunters. Still many contemporary hunters keep Swiss Knife for dressing, butchering and general purpose of camping. Nowadays hunters use stainless steel or high carbon, high molybdenum or high chromium steel alloys.
Modern hunting knives are made of steel or stainless steel with a mixing of carbon content in the metal. The mixing of carbon determines the hardness of the blade, sharpness, finish, toughness and corrosion resistance.
From past 200 years, design and construction of hunting weapons have changed little and it is expected that in the future it will change little because of the advancement in metallurgy. Advancement in metallurgy allows the manufacturers to use new steel alloys which can improve the finish, hardness, and durability of knives. Till now hunting knives are used as a valued tool by enthusiastic and adventurous people.
Types of Hunting Knives
1. Camp / General Purpose Knives
These are the multi-purpose knives which can be used for most of the tasks that other hunting knives do. Camp knives have a large drop point which can do different things. Sometimes it is not feasible to carry several knives and you require to do many works such as wood cutting for fire, shelter preparation, clothing, skinning, dressing etc. with your knife. Camp knives can alone perform all these tasks.
2. Field Dressing Knives
Field dressing is a process to prepare the game for transport from woods to home. Field dressing is a quite easy process and does not take much time. You can even do the field dressing with a pocket knife. You have to protect the game from contamination. Cape knives can also perform this task.
3. Skinning Knives
Sometimes you need the skin of the game to tan the leather or for hides. For that purpose, the skin should remove carefully. One wrong cut can ruin a hide. Skinning requires concentration and patience. Some special blades are available for skinning which makes the whole process very easy and efficient. The size of good skinning knife blade should be around 3 to 3.5 inch with a drop point and big belly. The gut hook is also a nice feature which can make the skinning process easier. Your blades must be very sharp during skinning.
4. Caping Knives
Caping is a process to remove the head, face and shoulder skin of the game. If it is intact you can use it to create a trophy mount. Capping knife is useful on difficult animals where a super precision is required. It is like a skinning knife with Choils, some belly and drop point. Choils allows the fine precision cuts. The size of Caping blades can be between 1-1.5 to 2-2.5 inches. Caping knives can also use as a breasting blade for birds. You can also perform some other tasks with it such as cleaning trout and small fishes, and for skinning of a small game.
Style of Hunting Knives
When it comes to choosing fixed blade or folding blade hunting knives the debate goes on and on. Today I will tell you about both the knives in detail so that it will become easy for you to take a decision.
1. Folding Blade
Folding knives have a casing in the handle which allows the blade to fold closed into the handle. When it comes to folding knives their fans argument goes something like this:
- Folding blade knives are compact and pack up easily.
- Folding Blade knives are lighter and easy to carry. You can easily transport folding knife in your pocket and people don’t even know that you are carrying a knife.
- These knives allow convenient one-hand opening with a press button.
- Generally, folding blade knives are not strong like fixed-blade knives but a well-constructed folding blade knife can be as tough as a fixed blade knife.
- Fur, blood, mud etc. can get lodged in the casing which makes it difficult to clean the casing.
2. Fixed Blade
Fixed blade knives permanently remain in an open position. Fixed blade knives are considered to be more serious and stronger knives.
- Fixed blades are typically stronger and considered good for heavy duty work.
- There is no moving part so they don’t break and considered to be more durable and reliable.
- They offer more control so you can act fast during tactical hunting situations.
- Fixed blade knives are versatile so you can perform a variety of task with them.
- They do not have any casing so you can clean them easily.
- They are longer than folding knives so should be carried in a sheath or bulkier.
- These knives are less safe than folding knives during transport.
- Climbing or sitting become uncomfortable because these knives get in the way.
Fixed knives are a better option for regular hunters or outdoorsmen and foldable knives are a better choice for the urban environment. If you are a regular hunter it is always wise to invest in a high quality fixed blade knife.
There are many types of Fixed and Flooding blades knives available. You can choose any kind of according to your requirements. When you decided about the fixed or folding, now it’s time to decide about the blades which fit best for your needs.
Blade Style of Hunting Knife
Choice of the blade depends on the type of game you are planning to hunt. There are many types of blades available but today I will discuss the blade styles which are most suitable for hunting.
1. Clip Point
Clip point blades are the most common blade shapes which are thin, flat and have a more well-defined point than drop point blades. The tip of the knife is much thinner than the base of the knife. The thin tip of the knife allows quick spearing of the game and controlled cuts. Clip point knives can easily penetrate in the game.
Clip point knives are versatile and can be used for camp chores and hunting jobs such as dressing and skinning. This is a great knife for hunting but the sharp tin blade tip can break easily. Bowie Knife is the best example of the clip point blade. These are the most famous blade style and most of the hunting knives are designed like clip point.
2. Drop Point
Drop point is the second most popular blade style and it is the oldest known style of the blade. Drop point knives are specialized for hunting big games. Drop point blades are very strong, thick and curved which cannot break easily. In these knives, blade curves down slightly from base to tip of the knife. This helps to strength the controlled cuts.
These blades can easily penetrate in the game and allow much more controlled slicing. These blades are ideal for small games. It is very easy to use the entire blade for skinning. It speeds up the process and reduces the risk of damaging the meat. It can also use for splitting rib cage and pelvis bones of the game animal. The robust design of blade also allows you to do other field cleaning activities.
3. Skinning Blades
Skinning blade knives are designed to skin medium to large animals. The blade has a curved tip which helps to separate the skin of the large game very fast and avoid puncturing. These blades effortlessly separate the flesh from the skin of a game. Skinning blades are the best choice when preserving of skin is important. You can also do other hunting chores with the help of these knives.
If you are planning to buy a knife consider those which are comfortable in your hands. Once you have decided about the blades. Now it is the time to decide about the serrations.
Types of Blades
Plain blades have plain, continuous and sharp edges. These kinds of blades serve a much wider purpose. Plain blades allow better precision and controlled cutting. These blades are best for push cuts and skinning.
Serrated blades have toothed or saw-like edges. These blades have gained popularity in recent years because of their utilization in field dressing and game butchering. These blades can be used on soft and flexible substance with downward cutting.
Serrated blades are best for slicing. You can also split the rib cage with the help of serrated blades. It is difficult to sharpen these blades. Specialty sharpening equipment is required to sharpen serrated blades.
Hunting knives blade materials
Type of material which is used in making the blades plays an important role in the quality of knives. When you are buying a hunting knife you must consider the blade material as an important factor. The material determines the durability, sharpness, toughness, edge retention, wear resistance and corrosion resistance. Nowadays so many types of materials are used while making blades. It is not possible to discuss all kinds of materials but today I will tell about the best materials which are used to make best knives.
1. S30V Steel
S30V steel is an American made high end; high vanadium powdered steel which offers a combination of wear resistance, rust resistance, and toughness. The blades which are made with S30V steel are hard to sharpen but once they are sharpened they retain the sharpness much better than other blades with other materials. Most makers harden the S30V blades too much that they become prone to chipping at the edges.
2. 154 CM Steel
154 CM steel is not powdered steel but this high carbon stainless steel has to wear resistance which is used in nicer knives. It offers a good balance between hardness, toughness and corrosion resistance. Though it is more brittle steel but the hardness of 154 CM steel blades allow retaining its edges. Generally, it works best on small blades knives.
3. VG-10 Steel
VG-10 steel is a non-powdered high wear resistance Japanese steel which offers superior corrosion resistance and extended edge retention. Though it is quite tough but it is lacking in hardness.
4. 420 HC Steel
420 HC steel is a medium carbon stainless steel which is extremely corrosion resistance. It is much easier to sharp because it has a lower hardness. 420 HC steel is stain resistance and tough but it is not able to hold edges well. It is quite good steel in the low price range.
5. D2 Steel
D2 steel is high in hardness and toughness and relatively corrosion resistance. It is present in the metallurgy industry from past 20 years and risen to the top as the best.
Size of Hunting Knives
Now it’s time to decide the size of the blade. Everyone likes big blades but they are not always better because bigger blades have less control. It can become difficult to clean and prepare the game. Smaller knives are always easy to control and you can complete the whole process with much easier and controlled way. If you want to clean a bird or squirrels then definitely you need a small knife which is lightweight and can easily fit into your pocket. If you are hunting big animal you might need a big knife. For most of the hunters, ideal blade length is between three to six inches.
Often we abuse the knife in the field while attempting the tasks which are outside their capacity. Today I will tell you about which kind of knife can be used for which kind of game.
- Small Game Knives
Small games such as rabbit, fox, birds etc. do not require a large and heavy knife to dress or skin. Small games can be skinned with a small knife with short blades. The blade length should not be more than six centimeters.
- Medium Game Knives
Medium games with thin skin such as deer, pigs, kangaroos etc. require a medium-sized knife with 6 – 8 centimeters blade. With the help of a medium size knife, you can easily skin and dress the medium size game.
- Large Game Knives
Large games with thick skin such as buffalo, scrub bull etc. require a large hunting knife. Large games do not give up their skin easily, the skin is thick and tough and encrusted with mud, so you have to work hard and need a large knife to remove the skin. Your knife might lose the edges in the skinning process. So it is better to use a soft steel knife which can be sharpened easily.
First, think about the jobs which you have planned to do with your knife and then decide which kind of knife will be suitable for you.
Sometimes when we are shopping for the hunting knife we do not even check the handle of the knife but the functionality of the knife depend on a comfortable handle. Bone, leather and wood handles are very functional and look very pleasing but these handles might not provide the firm grip while wet with the blood or water. Some synthetic handle materials such as ABS, Kraton, and Zytel offer a good grip with an economical price. Synthetic handle materials are also lightweight and unbreakable.
For safety point of view, hunting knife handles should also have finger stop and other guards at the junction of handle and blade which stops the hand of the hunter from sliding on the blade.
When you hold a knife in your hand it should be very comfortable. If a knife is uncomfortable to hold it means it is useless. Sometimes handles are too short that you have to hold them tightly. It will tire your forearm, and sometimes handles are too big that it is difficult to control them. Before you buy the hunting knife hold the knife in your hand and make sure that you can comfortably handle the knife during extended uses.
Maintenance of Hunting Knives
If you maintain sharp blades it means your cut can be executed with minimum force. If you put excessive force on a blunt blade you can get wounds in your hands. A sharp blade makes your work easy, fast, efficient and safe and you will enjoy your work. To protect all kind of blades including stainless steel blades from rust and corrosion you should wipe your blades with an oily rag after sharpening and cleaning.
To sharpen the knife effectively you should maintain a constant angle which is not an easy task for beginners. Only a skilled individual can sharpen the knife with a constant angle on an oil stone. There are many proprietary tools developed to fasten the sharpening process. These tools include whetstones, oil stones, diamond stones, sharpening rods, electric sharpeners, pull through sharpeners and guided sharpening steel. Most of the people prefer sharpening rods because they are portable, light weight, easily available and require less expertise. Sharpening techniques includes three major steps.
This step is performed to remove unwanted material from the blade. To sharp, the blades rub the blades at about 20 to 30-degree angle against the sharpening tool. After this process, blades will taper and dullness of edges will remove.
Straightening is done at about 15 to 20-degree angle. Straitening is done to make the edges straight by removing excess metal.
Polishing is a finishing technique which gives mirror-like smooth edges.
Sheath for Hunting Knives
The sheath is a covering case of a knife. It is not necessary to use sheath for folding knives but it is important for a fixed blade. The sheath offers an opportunity to the hunters or people to carry the knife safely without any danger to themselves or others. It also makes the knife readily available when it is needed. The sheath should be strong and tough enough which can hold the sharp blade of a knife securely. The sheath should be closely fit to the knife so that a knife does not come out until the person wants to remove it. A knife falling from its sheath can be very dangerous.
Earlier knife sheath was generally made with leather because the leather was readily available. The leather is tough which makes the sheath durable. Nowadays other materials are also used to make sheath but leather remains the top choice for everyone. Other materials which are used to make sheath are:
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
PVC is a rigid synthetic polymer of Polythene which is not durable and easy to torn.
Kydes is a thermoplastic Acrylic Polyvinyl which is a thermoforming fabrication. Recently Kydes has gained popularity and it is used in the place of leather. It is water resistance and remains in a steady shape which causes less disturbance and reduces friction when it is in use. Kydes is tougher and lasts longer. Frequent use of the Kydes can make the knife blunt.
Nylon is used to make small pouches. It is cheap and worn easily.
The leather is the oldest and best material which is used to make a sheath. When leather is wet it is soft and it became very easy to work on the leather. Leather easily gets affected by rain, consistent moisture, and extreme heat.
Choosing a hunting knife is a personal preference but in this article, I have provided in-depth information about the hunting knives which can help you in the decision-making process. Be assured that whenever you buy a hunting knife it should be comfortably fit in your hands. It should have a firm grip so that it does not fall from your grasp. A hunting knife should be the best fit for your needs.
I have tried to cover all the aspects about the hunting knives in this complete buying guide. I hope you find some useful information here and enjoyed it.